Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I lurk in the library

Even though there are only 4 shelves of English material at the library, the person who chose the material was very shrewd.

They have all the graphic novels of Akira, 6 or 8 I think. They also have will self, books, requiem for a dream and some classic classics.

I've been feeling sad the last few days, I'm probably going to start stealing soon. A bicycle me thinks.

I'm halfway through "house of the dead" by Dostoevsky. He spent 4 years in a hard labour,Siberian military compound for political activities. This is told through the story of a narrator and is based on those years. It shows how men change under the prison conditions and what effects the punishmetns have on the men. It also deals with coping mechanisms etc. I like it, although i'm conscious that it's Dostoevsky and is probably going to wear me into the ground in the second half.

It made me dream that the police had new powers to search anyone and I had a bottle of acid on me. I had to run down a long, windy road and try to find a chink in a wall to hide it. scary stuff.

For some reason I came across a book by Selby -Requiem writer- called the room. It's also about a man in a prison cell and what happens to his sanity.

Then the library told me that a Kafka book, the trial was in and now I have that. You can guess what it's about. I'm contemplating reading all 3 on the trot....it may have an undesirable, negative effect on me.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home